Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Basketball Lettering: A Unique Approach

Lettering in basketball can be very rewarding for players.  There are a variety of different standards used by coaches when it comes to lettering.  Some coaches will set a specific number of quarters that a player needs to play in order to letter, which is the most common approach in our area. 

When I was coaching high school girls a few years back, I used a different approach.  It did involve a lot of work on my end, but I felt it was worth it because any of our players, regardless if they played varsity, could letter if they wanted to put in the effort.  In fact, one year, one of my starting seniors did not letter because she did not reach the required elements.  Her mother was not to happy, but I had clearly explained the lettering requirements to the parents and the players the year before and had sent home consistent updates on their progress.  On the other hand, I did have a number of non-varsity players letter because they had met the requirements.

I am not sure who the creator of this type of lettering process is.  I got it from our wrestling coach, after he attended a wrestling clinic.  The whole premise is for players to accumulate 50 letter points in a year.  There a wide variety of ways to accumulate points, which are all described in the files listed below.  I must stress, that it takes a lot of organization and attention to detail.

Basketball Lettering Requirements
Basketball Lettering Spreadsheet
Basketball Fitness Goal Sheet
Basketball Lettering Athlete Record Sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment