Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Transition Offense

Well, it has been homecoming week here at our school and it has consumed most of my time and energy.  With that being said, it has been a good week and the kids have been having fun.  We have a big football game tomorrow night so I am excited to watch our players play a good game.

I thought I would share a variety of good transition drills that everyone can look at and modify to fit within their system.  The one misconception that I see or hear when talking with coaches is that in order to be an effective transition team, you need to play like North Carolina, Grinnell, or VCU.  The other misconception is that you have to have deep bench to have strong transition team.  Being effective does not mean you have to push the ball as hard as you can and taking a shot within the first 10 seconds of the possession.  Effective to me means that you use opportunistic situations to put pressure on the defense and hold them accountable for getting back on defense.  Some games will allow for more opportunities than others.

Therefore, we are going to look at a number of transition resources.  Some of these I have shared in my emails that I send out to those of you who subscribe, and others I have posted on here on my blog.  Either way, I believe these resources can benefit any program.  As always, take the elements that fit your team strengths.  Hope they help.



2 comments:

  1. Great blog David. I have been using your flex and swing notes very extensively this year. Glad to see my Izzo notes on this list :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing them with the coaching community. Let me know if I can help down the road and good luck with your season.

    ReplyDelete