Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Bark and Bite

He barked out his rules, listing them one by one. Boasting of consequences and the things he’d done. “This is how it’s gonna be, so this you’d better do! If you break these rules, then buddy you’re through! I wanna’ see this and I wanna’ see that! I don’t like this and I don’t like that! Don’t test me kid, I have done it before! If you don’t like it then there’s the door!” Well as the season went, discipline began to fade. Players lost belief in the threats he had made. Rules were broken; players were allowed to slide by. Teamwork was forsaken and thrown out to die. He warned us daily, but we knew him too well. He didn’t mean a word of the threats he would yell. Coach talked tough, but we never saw him fight, because our coach’s bark was worse than his bite.

--- Todd Howey

No comments:

Post a Comment