Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Coaches Creed


By: George R. Edwards, University of Missouri Men's Basketball Coach (1926-1946)

I BELIEVE that basketball has an important place in the general educational scheme and
pledge myself to cooperate with others in the field of education to so administer it that its
value never will be questioned.

I BELIEVE that other coaches of this sport are as earnest in its protection as I am, and I will

do all inmy power to further their endeavors.

I BELIEVE that my own actions should be so regulated at all times that I will be a credit to
the profession.

I BELIEVE that the members of the National Basketball Committee are capably expressing
the rules of the game, and I will abide by these rules in both spirit and letter.
I BELIEVE in the exercise of all the patience, tolerance, and diplomacy at my command in
my relations with all players, co-workers, game officials and spectators.

I BELIEVE that the proper administration of this sport offers an effective laboratory
method to develop in its adherents high ideals of sportsmanship; qualities of cooperation,
courage, unselfishness and self-control; desires for clean, healthful living; and respect for
wise discipline and authority.

I BELIEVE that these admirable characteristics, properly instilled by me through teaching
and demonstration, will have a long carryover and will aid each one connected with the
sport to become a better citizen.

I BELIEVE in and will support all reasonable moves to improve athletic conditions, to
provide for adequate equipment and to promote the welfare of an increased number of
participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment